Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Knapford 2-Stall Goods/ Engine Shed

Adding to my collection of yard structures, I wanted to try a goods shed that can double as an engine shed, based on Will's Craftsman's goods shed kit. This won't be the only one to model, as I really enjoyed creating this unique structure.


It was an elaborate structure to model! And a lot of firsts were accomplished.


Here you can see the inside, with a few spare ties lying in the corner! I used the same technique I developed for the floor of Duck's engine shed, so the tracks had a nice flat floor for the workman to have easy access to the engines or wagons.


The glass roof was made using several strips of green card glued together to create the window pains, these were glued on the wall's edge, then strips of grey paper were glued on the sides for the roof overhang. These are some of the nicest windows I have modeled, and they would look great with lights for night scenes. For a while my fingers were aching after all that cutting, so I would suggest taking extra care when cutting parts to give your fingers a chance to stretch and be cracked in place!


There are doors on each end that can open and close. The exhaust chimneys were made using sections of cut card  glued to strips of Balsa wood. Eight were made for this model. Even the drain pipes are cut from strips of card.


Relating to Thomas and Friends, this type of building reminds me of how Callen Station's shed on Duck and Oliver's Brachline looked in the Railway Series, as well as the long, 7-road shed at Knapford made and filmed only for a few times since Season 7 onwards.


I can't wait to use this for the yards planned for future remakes! Duck, James, Percy, or any of the engines would look great chatting inside as they rest, or either vans or coal cars awaiting to be collected.

No comments:

Post a Comment