Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Water Tank #1

 Here is a water tank made for the yards at Knapford, loosely based on Superquick cardboard buildings. I really like these little structures, the large water tank placed on top of a building containing the pumps, pipes and tubes to feed the nearby water cranes. So I decided to make one myself!


For the pictures above, there is an added wooden ladder made from Balsa wood, which was also used for the trim and wrapping trim surrounding the tank.

Acrylics were used to weather the brick and tank, wear and dust, and grime from the rain. Important details like that give show how the building stands in the elements of weather and age.


The windows are made as follows:
  • On the wall, I sketch the window opening and arch, on thw back of the wall so the erased pencil would not effect the texture grain.
  • Then I cut the opening out with a craft knife, and cut the arch using scissors.
  • I use a similar technique to create the cream window casing, just drawing the opening smaller than the window opening.
  • After I cut several strips of card to make the window panes or grills (careful cutting!), then I glue them to the back.
  • Finally I use a sheet of clear plastic to glue on the back for the glass!


For the tank, I would like to add a dividing wall in the middle of the tank to make two separate wells. A paper square attached to a strip of wood for the trim would be needed to connect it to each side of the tank wall.

Using this technique, it would be smart to use clear plastic squares, glue on painted strips of wood, then attach on the wall sides to create the illusion of water. One level could be full and the other half full!

I thought this water tank would be perfect for Knapford and other yards around the island. It was a lovely structure to model, I think it would be great to model more in different sizes and styles!

1 comment: