Thursday, January 2, 2014

Fish Van #1: 12 Ton Ventilated Van


For this post I thought I'd share pictures of one of many vans from Bachmann Branchline I painted and weathered as they would have from trains such as the Flying Kippar and other wagons in the yards of Knapford or Tidmoth.


This was one of the first I had purchased, and one of my favorites. It is gray, weathered in a dusty color, with a few hints of rust and grime.


My favorite part about this van is the vents on either end, and the detail in the rivets. I remember one being made for the Bachmann line of Thomas products, painted in nice colors and having the chassis molded from other wagons. Retail value was $25, this Bachmann Branchline at about $18.  I really appreciate Bachmann Branchline's attention to detail and realism in their wonderful models, which you can purchase much cheaper for excellent quality.

7 comments:

  1. If you need extra kipper vans, I would very much recommend the Bachmann LNER Bauxite Fish vans. I have two of them and they're very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet! I do have a silly question though:

    Is it the same LNER Bauxite Fish van that Bachmann had planned to release this March/April as they wrote on their website?:
    http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/38-575_47180_Qty1_cat.JPG

    Or is it the Ventilated Van?:
    http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/38-380A_1047133_Qty1_1.jpg

    Both are two handsome types I have added to my list of wagons to purchase. Thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bottom link is one of the ones I have, but the van is without ventilation. The other one is that same van type, but with planked ends and ventilation instead of corrugated ones.

    http://www.ehattons.com/32838/Bachmann_Branchline_38_376_12_ton_ventilated_van_with_planked_ends_in_BR_bauxite_early_/StockDetail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a nice van! You remember the ventilated vans were very common on the TV Series, in it BR Bauxite livery, in various variations, and later in both BR Departmental Olive Green, and a weathered gray. This van and even the LNER Bauxite Fish van look similar to the vans seen in the beautiful illustrations of the Railway Series.

      These are very handsome models. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks man! I was thrilled when I decided to get a couple and paint them for my model railroading. It's always a fun thing getting to weather and detail your rolling stock to make it more realistic.

      Delete