Monday, June 16, 2014

Blueprints: Duncan, 16mm scale, V1

Here is Duncan drawn and measured for construction!


After I designed Rusty, I drew Duncan for another possible remake in his Railway Series design, with elements from his season 5 model in 16mm scale.

I really like this design, as Duncan was one of my favorite narrow gauge characters, Rusty included. Duncan has the larger cab and his big, low windows from his season 5 cab design on "Duncan Gets Spooked, 1998" as he did in his real prototype, Douglas, the engine from the Talyllyn Railway. Duncan will be painted and even weathered in his Railway Series livery, red with blue stripes. As he works at the mines and quarries as much as he pulls his weekly passenger trains, he might have grime and dust on his paintwork, weathered in acrylics and pastels.

As I did for Prince, I'm also going to make his coupling rods move as I have drawn them, and I have figured out a way to make the mechanics move right. Looking forward to that!

Over the past few days I have seen the latest picture of Duncan for his return to the Thomas show in CGI. He looks great, having his larger cab, with his season 4 windows! I'm guessing a decision to make his running board red is from the German designs from the Andrew Barklay well tanks, which have red wheels and undercarriages. Still, I think he looks cool, and I look forward to seeing him again on the show. Cool stuff!

4 comments:

  1. Great blueprints for both Duncan and Rusty. I too am looking forward to Duncan's return in CGI. I hope they'll bring back Duke or perhaps Bertram next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really got into these drawings, and on top of that I am glad I can share them with you.

      I hope those two engines will return again too; Duke is a classic, and a most beloved favorite of the narrow gauge engines. I would like to have seen what his larger 16mm scale model would have looked from the episodes the studio made from season 5 onwards, the larger model, his smoke, and especially his faces! Not only that, the father-like figure he was as the railway's "Grandpuff!"

      Bertram would be a good character to reintroduce too, an open opportunity as any to get deeper into his personality and history for the series.

      Delete
  2. Hi, these are really good models, what and how will you make the moving traction rodes for Duncan? I've tried several times on my Rheneas But they get loose and broke after running for a while.
    Also, are you going to make MightyMac? I think he would look great in a large model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the posts of Prince, I go into detail describing how I made them work using toothpicks, so I could make them move with the wheels. One of my favorite models!

      I always did like MightyMac. Although the story of their first debut was not well written, I think it was a great idea making a character from a Fairlie locomotive. I'd have him in the Raiway Series livery, red with blue stripes, and make him look real good and detailed!
      I think I would really enjoy that as a project, it would be a challenge to make the bogies work! I am hoping, however, to give life to the original characters and the Railway Series characters too. We'll see!

      Delete